My understanding of these recommendations apply very well to patients with diabetes in Utah. In fact, many of these recommendations include the following:
- Exercise 3 times per week (no more than 2 days between episodes)
- Moderately Vigorous Exercise (40%-60% of maximal aerobic output) -- Brisk walk may produce this effect.
- Resistance Training (2-3 times per week on nonconsecutive days)
- Regular use of a Pedometer (Set goal for steps per day.)
- Exercise must be done REGULARLY to have benefit
If these recommendations are followed, positive effects can include:
- Lower blood pressure
- Better glucose control
- Improved circulation
- Decresed heart risk
- Lower cholesterol and lipids.