People are constantly looking for ways to improve their daily diet and find the foods that are going to be the best for them. That is probably superfoods have become such a huge topic. Superfoods are foods that have high health benefits and are low in calories. However, which superfoods will also mesh well with your diabetic meal plan?
The American Diabetes Association recently released a list of what these foods are and how to best take advantage of the health benefits. Managing your diabetes will help prevent ulcers and numbness of your feet in the future. So, here is the list:
1. Beans-Having 1 cup of legumes will result in better blood sugar control and lower blood pressure.
2. Spinach-It is low on calories and carbohydrates. You can never eat too much!
3. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons & limes-The soluble fiber content can help delay the rise of blood sugar. Can interact with some medications however.
4. Berries- They lower blood sugar and slow down inflammation, as the ellagic acid helps fight insulin resistance.
5. Asparagus-Studies suggest that it can keep blood sugar in control and stimulates insulin production!
6. Watermelon- It contains lycopene, which can protect against cell damage.
7. Nuts-These tend to be high in calories so watch your portion control, but they can also improve blood sugar control in Type 2 diabetes.
8. Oatmeal-Its soluble fiber content can help delay the rise of blood sugar.
9. Red Onions- They are higher in antioxidants than any other variety of onion
10. Red Peppers- Gives you very little starch and is extra low on calories, considering the serving size is one whole cup.